Friday, April 13, 2012

The Pitch

The Pitch, AMC's reality show based on actual ad agencies, not the 1960's one that usually brings attention to AMC, was added to Netflix just yesterday, April 12th. I almost didn't want to write about this one, since while it is technically a TV show, it is not actually premiering on AMC until April 30th, meaning the only currently available episode is the Pilot. Still my curiosity got the better of me. As you've noticed I'm a sucker for unique distribution channels, and there is no reason to believe that Netflix won't continue to carry the episodes so I thought I would give it a chance.

As a side note, with so many shows that I watch only on Netflix, I'm wondering when I can have a separate queue for TV shows I've caught up on, and only want to know when they get new episodes.

I was skeptical when the pilot began with this line, "The world is not kind to ad agencies. It will chew you up and spit you out if you're not competent." This doesn't sound to me like a unique problem to ad agencies, since it seems like the world is unkind to most incompetent businesses. The show feels more like a traditional documentary in style, but the substance of the show is actually a contrived game that reminded me of pre-celebrity versions of the Apprentice. Two advertising companies have seven days to put together a pitch to win an account. This week the account was with Subway. I'm not going to lie, having the contrived competition element to the show certainly makes it an easier, if less thoughtful  watch for me.

The two companies represent the big city cutting edge "we want to do something you've never seen before" sentiment of WDCW from Los Angeles, who had previous experience working with Quiznos, and the small town McKinney agency from North Carolina that described themselves as a "family." So a little bit of culture war baiting going on.

The assignment was to get 18-24 year olds to eat breakfast at Subway. It was fun to see the inner workings and differences between the two offices, and my inner snob loved listening to the early bad ideas and criticizing them. As it went along, seeing the two visions come to life was exciting. WDCW settled on a campaign about zAMbies, or morning zombies, get it? McKinney had a youtube rapper compose a jingle.

 I won't tell you who won, but the final decision managed to capture some real tension in the room, and I had  grown attached enough to the two companies (I was rooting for McKinney) that I felt like I cared who won.

By the time the show was over, it already felt like an old reliable guilty pleasure. It may not be a show I'm excited to get home and watch, but I know it will dependably wind me down at the end of a long day.

Conclusion: Top of the Queue

No comments:

Post a Comment